Disclaimer: Due to the current uncertainty regarding coronavirus, many events are being cancelled. Please contact the event organiser directly via the contact details on the listing if you are unsure.
Learn to prepare beautiful seafood
About this Event
Join Wanitha Tanasingam for this class where she will show you how to prepare an array of beautiful seafood dishes that are sophisticated and summery.
This course is designed to expose you to a wide variety of seafood preparation techniques that include- curing, deboning, stuffing and cleaning a squid
This delicious menu will be served at the end of the course with a chilled glass of white wine.
Tequila Cured Salmon This process takes 48 hours so one will be prepared in advance for you to eat and then you will also be preparing a fresh side of salmonTo accompany this, Wanitha will be preparing some fresh blue corn chips from scratch
Stuffed Squid - Pad Khee Mao Each student will be learning to clean down their own squid and then stuffing it with shrimp, chicken and water chestnuts, to be cooked and garnished with crispy basil leaves
Chermoula Stuffed SardinesLearn how to debone and stuff this tiny delicious fish, packed full of flavour
Thai Fried Rice with Prawn and PineappleA lively summery version of this classic Asian dish with carefully prepared prawns as the hero!
Asian SlawSomething fresh and light to accompany this feast whilst learning key knife skills
About the Chef
Growing up in Penang, Wanitha moved to Australia in 1982. She learned the art of cooking from her father, who he was the Head Chef of the Kedah Royal Family in Malaysia. Wanitha later started her own restaurant and cooking school. She is a real goddess of flavours and spice and with her engaging personality, her positive energy and her incredible knowledge of food she will show you the secrets of Thai cooking.
"Food is togetherness, creating deep connections between people, place and soil, linking the globe across time and culture. Cooking is history. Every dish tells a story." (Wanitha Tanasingam)
Measures in place with COVID Restrictions
Your safety comes first, our COVID Safety Plan will be presented to each attendee upon arrival. Please contact us if you would like to have a copy in advance.
- Reduced class size to accommodate 1.5 Metre distancing- Stringent hygiene measures in place
- Class credit to those who are not well enough to attend
- New class format with less teamwork and more individual tasks
To do list!
- Wear closed toed shoes (no 6-inch heels ladies!)
- Please tie back long hair
- Arrive early as the class will start on time (there’s a lot to fit in!)
- Save the environment and bring a container in case of leftovers
We love Planet Earth
The Cooking School believes in recycling, reducing waste and reusing where possible. All food waste is collected by an organic recycling company that converts the waste into reusable energy.
St Margaret's Car Park at 417-435 Bourke Street, Surry Hills is a great option for parking with 80 spaces available and a 5-minute walk from the Cooking School. Casual parking rates after 5 pm are $4/hour.
- Cancellations are non-refundable.
- A change in personal circumstances does not entitle a ticket holder to return or exchange a ticket.
- All bookings are confirmed on receipt of full payment and if a seat is available.
- Reservations may be transferred to other classes with 30 days notice.
- If you are unable to attend a reserved booking, you are welcome to send someone else in your place.
- Reservations for classes and events close 30 minutes prior to the start time.
- All classes and events require closed-in shoes.
- The Essential Ingredient reserves the right to alter or cancel a class. Every effort is made to contact and accommodate guests in the event of alterations or cancellations. If a class is cancelled or moved to a date and/or time you are unavailable, you are entitled to a full refund.
- Please inform staff of any dietary requirements whilst making a booking, we will attempt to accommodate you to the best of our abilities. Please contact us on 02 9555 8300.
Proudly sponsored by:
Category Food & Wine